The company originally started in 1947 trading as M & W A Smithers, operating from a small brewery stores in Burton on Trent and, in those early years focused on providing electrical services to the local domestic market.
Michael Cripwell joined the company in 1951 as a 15 year old electrical apprentice and after successfully completing his apprenticeship went on to serve his national service in the RAF. Having completed his national service Michael went on to set up in business for himself and in 1963 to meet the demand for his services, Michael joined forces with Cliff Smithers as a partner in M & W A Smithers. Sadly, Cliff Smithers passed away in 1979 and the company was renamed M W Cripwell Ltd.
From that time M W Cripwell Ltd has grown from a small works business, serving clients such as British Coal, Staffordshire County Council and various local industrial businesses to a successful multi service provider.
In more recent years, whilst retaining our commitment to the service and maintenance business, our contracts division have successfully completed multi million pound installations on a variety of projects around the country. Also, to meet the demands of our clients, we have developed both mechanical and fire and security divisions that deliver the same high standard of service that the company has become known for and to reflect our evolution to a progressive multi service provider. In 2011 the company re-branded to Cripwell Building Services.
Michael Cripwell still remains as the company chairman, but the day to day running of the business has been handed to a new generation, who are committed to maintaining the standard of service that has been at the core of the company’s success and are committed to the continued development of the Cripwell brand.